Earlier this week, the operators of the Nürburgring announced that it will be lifting the speed limits imposed in three sections of its Nordschleife track back in 2015. The speed limits were initially established due to an accident that took the life of a spectator when a Nissan GT-R Nismo GT3 caught air and went over the fence into the spectator space. Several others were injured.
Just five months after the accident, track officials said that the speed limits would soon be eliminated. In order to get rid of the limits, officials decided to install more safety fences and resurface the road. While safety is a huge concern, automakers have been hindered by these limits when trying to set lap records with their latest vehicles.
The VLN Endurance Championship Nürburgring kicks off April 2, marking the 40th season of the sport and the official end of the speed limits. During track inspection by the FIA and German motorsport association DMSB, improved safety measures were confirmed, including the addition of more lines of protection, metallic fences, and a restricted zone in the Schwedenkreuz section that is closed to spectators. Nearly half a mile of the track in the Flugplatz and Quiddelbacher Hӧhe sections were repaved as well.
“With these safety measures and the two new licenses we have created the prerequisites for an exciting racing season that will hopefully see no accidents, and we are glad that the speed limits are finally a thing of the past,” said Manfred Strack, Nurburgring’s event manager in charge of track operations, in a release.